What to Expect During the LipiFlow Treatment
The following describes what you will experience during the LipiFlow® treatment:
1. The treatment will begin with you either resting in a reclined chair or lying comfortably on a table in a procedure room.
2. 1-2 drops of a mild anesthetic will be placed in the eye(s) to be treated.
3. Corneal specialist Dr. James Lewis will gently fit the LipiFlow disposable with the lid warmer under your eye lids and the eye cup outside your eye lids. You will be asked to close your eyes around the eyepiece.
4. The LipiFlow device will be activated. You will begin to feel both gentle pressure and warmth on your eyelid.
5. The disposable will become gradually warmer on your eyelids. Once the temperature reaches a therapeutic range, the device will maintain this temperature for 2 minutes at a constant pressure. This is when the glands are being brought to the appropriate temperature to begin melting the blockages within the glands. At the end of the 2 minutes, the pressure will be released briefly.
6. Next, the temperature will be maintained but the pressure will go through different modes, including slow increasing pressure and pulsation, for several cycles throughout the remaining 10 minutes of treatment. This is done to facilitate removing the blockages from the glands.
“I just sat back in a chair and they put these things on my eyes and I sat there and talked to the nurse for a while and that was it. I could certainly feel the heat but it was nothing painful.”
Caroline N., age 62
evaporative dry eye sufferer since 2005
“It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought. Especially when you are used to having something in your eye all the time. It didn’t hurt at all, just a little uncomfortable. But, no pain whatsoever; it was really very easy.”
Nancy S., age 52
evaporative dry eye sufferer since 1988
*These may not represent all patient experiences.